Monday 25 June 2012

Evaluation of Self-Portrait

The materials I used for the final piece were water colour pencils, paints, and oil pastels with a stencil. I should probably have used poster paints or a proper stencil brush for the paints and left the pastels.My working methods were similar to throwing things together to see how they worked, but with more planning.
The only Health and Safety issues were with the stencil as the knife kept slipping. Aside from making it, the stencil would have been easy to use had I used the right equiptment.
For the most part, my equiptment and materials were just paints and brush, but I also used glitter and glue, oil pastels, water colour pastels and colour pencils. Only the glitter was noticably difficult to use - it took a while for the glue to dry and keep the glitter attched, but still comes off. Also, it has not added to my research in any way. so there was very little point in using it, unlike the rest of the head studies.
I experimented with stencil (as mentioned above) and pastels and paint. I combined these in my final piece, where there is the main drawing of me in my room, with the stencil running in lines up and down the piece. It gives a strange 3D/2D look to the picture, and suggests there are several sides to me from the use of colour. I didn’t just make every stencil a different colour, I also changed the colours in the picture as well - for example, my hair is dark brown, but in the picture it is light blue; and my top is blue, but I changed it to red. This, again, may suggest there is another side to me, or a reflection of  the way I think | am seen by others, or possibly how I would like to be seen. These are accentuated by the range of textures and media used. The right hand side of the picture is left messy because I am often messy.
I have used the principle of thirds, but the main image of me is right in the center. The stenciled pictures in lines add a sort of rhythm

No comments:

Post a Comment