Thursday 8 March 2012

evaluation of 'Home' zine

The work I did for this assignment was very confusing, as I had several ideas I could pursue. I eventually decided to combine 2 ideas - my fathers work and workplace and my actual home.
The research I did seems to be fairly incomplete as I am still unable to find a photographer of workplaces. The photographers I chose for the home part of my book used the sort of styles I wanted to use and I consider that a bit of research well done, I liked the close-up slightly abstract images that both artists uses.
I spent the best part 2 lessons cutting down my images from 500 to 30, then putting the book together. Cutting the images down was incredibly hard - and I’m not entirely satisfied with the final cut, it seems a little flat. I think many of the best photos I’d taken were not closely enough related to the project to be included and that's why it seems to lack something. Most of the images I used for my Dads workplace I edited to black-and-white as the light in his workplace is a very yellowy-green colour (my camera also doesn’t support a ‘custom’ white balance), although I did saturate some of them, giving them a to slightly orange tinge that greatly reduced the green-ness of the picture, but also increased the shadows giving the image a slightly hand-drawn look. I had to crop some of the images fr the home section as well.
After whitling the images down, I had to work out what order to put the images in - which I did by printing them off and lying them next to each other - and how to put themin that order - for which I used the same technique as above but in order as opposed to on the desk. The process of putting them into book from was hampered by the fact that we had mised 2 lessons - one due to a  mix-up of who was teaching and the other due to the dept. head thinking there was only one lesson that day and not providing a cover. In one of those lessons we should have been taught about In-Design - a computer program we would have been able to make the book with - instead we used Photoshop. As a result of these mix ups (and my own terrible time management) I did not manage to finish the book on time and was given the task of handing it in to another teacher who was to hand it to the head of department. This teacher couldn’t and said to hand it to a different techer who would hand it to the head of department, but he said he would not see them (I asked if they would see each other, not if he could give the head od department my work); I then forgot to ask the next teacher I saw about it. As a result my book is only in mock up form and several copies have not been made and it will not be on our stall at the Book Fair. I do take responsibility for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment